The Assistant Chief Engineer is responsible to deputise in the absence of the Chief Engineer, provide leadership and technical support to the shift engineers, maintain and repair the building and associated plant and equipment, provide on-call support.
Ensures the engineers are accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors. Ensures Residents needs are met or exceeded. Is knowledgeable of the systems within the apartments and their correct operation. Observes service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers; is familiar with the SOP’s relating to resident service delivery.
The Assistant Chief Engineer at One Hyde Park Mandarin Oriental continuously focuses on improving service performance; identifies opportunities to create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change. Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of building projects and plant equipment and renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Has a sound knowledge of the operation of the systems and equipment within the building to provide support, fault finding, repair and maintenance. To ensure records are kept of same.
- To be familiar with the maintenance contracts in place, the obligations within the contracts and to supervise contractors when on-site.
- Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in all areas of engineering. Continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Is perceptive of Residences environment. Ensures building is well maintained and operational areas have an atmosphere that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
- Manages the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with brand’s Standard Operating Procedures.
- Is familiar with UK Government regulations.
- Oversees the distribution of preventive maintenance and repair work orders and monitors timeliness and quality of completion.
- Manages parts and equipment inventory, raising orders for approval in a timely manner.
- Ensures maintenance and testing of property life safety systems (fire fighting equipment, sprinkler systems and alarm systems) are conducted and recorded.
- Completes appropriate maintenance to ensure on-going appreciation of the asset.
- Oversees and directs the maintenance of communal areas.
- To provide shift engineer cover as necessary to enable continuity of cover.
- To be on-call do attend emergencies, within 1 hours, whilst on rostered cover.
- Delivers training to the shift engineers and other team members to ensure they are working correctly, safely and in accordance with the relevant Policies, Procedures and SOP’s.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports. Ensures goals are being met or shortcoming are tackled through effective feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire engineering team. Ensures direct report does the same for their line colleagues.
- Conducts daily meetings to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
- Ensures colleagues are treated fairly and equitably; brings issues to the attention of The Director of Engineering as necessary.
- Ensures Residences policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members; ensures recognition occurs in all areas.
- To be aware of, and comply with, safe working practices as laid down under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Company H & S Manual, as applicable to your place of work. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards at your work place
- To be aware of, and comply with Food Acts.
- To wear any appropriate protective clothing provided by or recommended by the Hotel.
- To report any defects in the building, plant or equipment according to the Hotel procedures.
- To ensure any accidents to colleagues, guests or visitors are reported in accordance with Hotel procedures.
- To attend 6 monthly statutory fire training and to be fully conversant with and abide by all rules concerning, fire, health & safety.
- To attend any training deemed appropriate by your Head of Department.
- Any other reasonable request as required by your manager appropriate for this position and to comply with all the MOHG policies and procedures.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Mandarin Oriental London
As part of the most-extensive multi-million-pound restoration in the hotel's history, internationally-renowned designer Joyce Wang, oversaw the new design of all the rooms, suites and public areas, inspired by the natural beauty of neighbouring Hyde Park and the glamour of the 20th century Golden Age of travel.
The stunning re-imagining of The Spa at Mandarin Oriental, London along with the hotel’s destination restaurants and Mandarin Bar, were directed by esteemed New York designer Adam D Tihany.